Derry Girls’ Siobhan McSweeney living out of suitcase after horror house fire

Derry Girls star Siobhan McSweeney has revealed she's been living out of a suitcase for months after a horror blaze ripped through her London home.

The Irish actress became aware of the terrifying event when she received a call from a concerned neighbour who said her flat was on fire.

Luckily, Siobhan – who plays Sister Michael on the sitcom – was out at the time, so she was left unharmed by the raging blaze.

However, she is still feeling haunted by the life-changing event four months on.

She is living at a friend's house at the moment, with just one suitcase to her name after losing many of her possessions in the fire.


  • Liar viewers 'annoyed' over Andrew Earlham's odd disguise as he escapes capture

  • Cheryl and newly single Liam Payne 'will reconnect on Bear's birthday in Disneyland'

"I'd left my really cosy, warm, familiar home and I came back to a blackened, smelly, dark destroyed shell of a flat," she explained to PA.

"I haven't been able to go back into the property yet so I've been living out of a suitcase since then. I managed to get my father's death certificate and a picture of my mother."

The star also revealed she's battling with anxiety after the shock blaze, which was caused by a plug adapter.

An inspector said the fire began next to her bed, where the adaptor was plugged in and had fallen slightly out of its socket, creating a spark.

"It takes me ages to leave the house, wherever I am. I have to go around plugging out everything and triple checking everything," she said.

Siobhan added: "For a long time afterwards I would wake up in the middle of the night and go round and unplug stuff."

She admitted it was "quite annoying" for her friends, as she would unplug the TV and reset all their devices.

But now Siobhan is warning people to ditch the cube-shaped plugs in a bid to avoid it happening to someone else.


  • Bobby Brazier blasts 'c***' who hacked his Instagram to scam money from his fans

She said it'll be "a bonus" if people get rid of them, to stop any repeats of the dreadful fire that happened.

"I'm just urging people to not take the chance. It doesn't matter if it doesn't happen that often. It has happened."

The actress went on to revisit the moment she had received the phone call, and said everything "blacked out".

She recalled: "I can't remember [anything]. All I remember is that taxi journey home and feeling so worried about what was happening.

"I have flats above me and below me, and elderly neighbours, and I was just deeply worried that they were safe."

Siobhan revealed it was her "worst possible nightmare" thinking she had put someone in danger, and instantly thought it was a candle or the oven she had left on.

It was a relief for her to find out it hadn't been her fault, and she said: "I had no idea that they were unsafe [the adaptor]. I had many in the flat."

She added: "This could have been a much darker story. I consider myself incredibly lucky."

McSweeney is preparing to return to her role as Sister Michael in a third series of the Channel 4 show later this year.

Do you have a story to sell? Get in touch with us at [email protected] or call us direct 0207 29 33033

Source: Read Full Article