Meghan Markle's friend Jessica Mulroney accused of threatening black woman's job

Jessica Mulroney’s TV show has been pulled after being called out for white privilege and ‘problematic behaviour’.

The stylist – a close friend of the Duchess of Sussex Meghan Markle – has issued an apology after the comments of Canadian blogger Sasha Exeter, who published a 12 minute video about an ongoing feud with Mulroney.

Exeter shared a video to Instagram, in which she claimed that Mulroney ‘took offence to a very generic call to action that I shared on my IG stories’ to speak out about Black Lives Matter. 

She said: ‘What happened next was a series of very problematic behaviour and antics that ultimately resulted in her sending me a threat in writing last Wednesday.

‘Listen, I am by no means calling Jess a racist but what I will say is this – she is very well aware of her wealth, her perceived power and privilege because of the colour of her skin. And that, my friends, gave her the momentary confidence to come for my livelihood in writing

‘Textbook white privilege really, in my personal opinion.’

View this post on Instagram

I’ve been silent. Not anymore!⁣ ⁣ I’m used to being so transparent on this platform. I think it’s the main reason why most of you follow me. Today, I’m opening up about something that has been haunting me for the last week. I have felt like a complete fraud fighting for racial equality and using my voice openly here, while letting a white woman silence mine behind closed doors. In sharing this very personal story, I know that I am risking a lot. Opening myself up to criticism, bullying and potential ramifications with my job in this space. However, I must speak my truth. Enough is enough. Hopefully my voice will be heard by many and help change things for the next generation and for my daughter Maxwell… because I will be dammed if my child ever has to deal with this level of ignorance.

A post shared by SoSasha (@sashaexeter) on

Exeter said she was baffled that Mulroney, 40, didn’t want to speak out on social media, addressing her close relationship with Meghan Markle.

The SoSasha founder said: ‘Jessica never wanted to stand up and use her voice in the first place, and didn’t understand why she had to.

‘Her best friend is arguably one of the most famous black women in the world. I just didn’t get it.’

The influencer continued to say Jessica ‘basically ticked every single box of what a white woman should absolutely not do during the biggest racial uproar in history’, and the star allegedly said it ‘wasn’t a problem she wanted to share on her social channels’ and that her TV show, I Do Redo, was more important at that time.

Exeter said: ‘She made herself the victim, and of course me the villain’, before claiming that Mulroney threatened her with an alleged message reading: ‘I have also spoken to companies and people about the way you treat me unfairly. You think your voice matters. Well, it only matters if you express it with kindness and without shaming people who are simply trying to learn. Good luck.’

She said: ‘For her to threaten me  ― a single mom, a single black mom — during a racial pandemic blows my mind. It’s absolutely unbelievable.’

In the wake of the allegations, Mulroney commented on the video, writing: ‘You are right when you say “this s*** needs to stop”. As leaders, we need to join hands and call out wrongs. 

‘I know we have different experiences. And that is something that, even in the course of a heated argument, I need to acknowledge and understand. I am unequivocally sorry for not doing that with you, and for any hurt I caused.

‘As I told you privately, I have lived a very public and personal experience with my closest friend where race was front and centre. It was deeply educational. I learned a lot from that. I promise to continue to learn and listen on how I can use my privilege to elevate and support black voices.’

However, Exeter claims that after this comment, she received a message allegedly from Mulroney threatening a lawsuit – reading: ‘Liable [sic] suit. Good luck.’

Jessica, who is married to Ben Mulroney, son of former Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney, later posted a statement to her own Instagram.

She said: ‘As some of you may have seen, @sashaexeter and I had a disagreement. She rightfully called me out for not doing enough when it came to engaging in the important and difficult conversation around race and injustice in our society.  

‘I took it personally and that was wrong. I know I need to do better. Those of us with a platform must use it to speak out. 

‘I want to say from my heart that every word of my apologies to Sasha over the course of the last two weeks privately, and again both publicly and privately today is true. I did not intend in any way to jeopardise her livelihood. We had a disagreement and it got out of hand. For that I am sorry.

‘I also know that is not about me, nor should it be about me. It is about the Black community that has been subject to racism, discrimination and violence for far too long. 

‘As I’ve considered what to say publicly, I recognise that isn’t enough. That is why I’m going to be stepping back from social media in the coming days and giving my microphone to Black voices by having them take over my account and share their experience. I plan to use this time to reflect, learn and listen. I have also asked Sasha if she would be willing to take over my account whenever she is comfortable and tell her story. 

‘The real work of bringing change goes beyond Instagram, and I want you all to know that I’m committed to using every platform and resource available to me to continue the important work of anti-racism. I hope you will all continue to hold me accountable.’

However, Canadian TV station CTV has decided to to pull Jessica’s wedding reality show I Do Redo in the wake of the allegations.

A statement read: ‘Bell Media and CTV encourages our entire team including our on-air talent to practice respect, inclusivity, and allyship as we pledge to work better and more openly to listen to and amplify Black voices, and not to minimise them.

‘Because recent conduct by one of our shows hosts, Jessica Mulroney conflicts with our commitment to diversity and equality, CTV has removed I Do Redo from all Bell Media channels and platforms effective immediately.’

Mulroney said: ‘The events that have transpired over the last few days have made it clear that I have work to do. I realise more than ever how being a white, privileged woman has put me far ahead of so many, and in particular those in the Black community.

‘And while I can’t change the past, I can do my part to do better in the future. I respect the decision of CTV and have decided to step away from my professional engagements at this time. I’m going to take this time to reflect, learn and focus on my family.’

Jessica was in attendance at Meghan’s wedding to Prince Harry, with her children acting as page boys and flower girl.

Source: Read Full Article