8am Man Utd news LIVE: Dybala opens up on failed transfer, Sancho UPDATE, £31m Tolisso talks underway, Havertz latest – The Sun

MAN UTD continued their preparations for the Premier League's return with a 4-4 draw among themselves in a warm-up match.

And the Red Devils are continuing to look at ways of strengthening their squad as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer reportedly starts talks with Bayern Munich's Corentin Tolisso.

Follow all the very latest news from Old Trafford below…

  • FRIENDLY FIRE

    Man Utd will play West Brom twice on Friday as they continue their preparations to play Tottenham the following week.

    The Red Devils were due to play Stoke in a behind-closed-doors friendly on Tuesday – but the match at Carrington was cancelled just minutes before kick-off when Potters boss Michael O'Neill tested positive for coronavirus.

    Instead, Solskjaer's men played another intra-squad friendly, which finished in a thrilling 4-4 draw as Luke Shaw grabbed a double.

    Both matches against the Baggies will take place at Old Trafford, ahead of their re-opener away at Totteham on Friday June 19.

  • IN THE BAGG

    United will play West Brom twice on Friday as they continue their preparations to play Tottenham the following week.

    The Red Devils were due to play Stoke in a behind-closed-doors friendly on Tuesday.

    But the match at Carrington was cancelled just minutes before kick-off when the Potters boss Michael O'Neill tested positive for coronavirus.

    The Championship side were forced to pack up their stuff and make a swift exit.

    Instead, the Premier League giants played another intra-squad friendly to get more minutes in the legs.

    That added to another game played among the Red Devils team on Saturday, which finished in a thrilling 4-4 draw as Luke Shaw grabbed a double.

  • CLOSE CALL

    Stoke are in panic mode over boss Michael O’Neill’s Covid-19 diagnosis — with three of their players about to become dads.

    One of the unnamed Potters trio has even been told by his worried wife to STAY AWAY from home.

    O’Neill’s positive test forced Stoke to cancel their friendly against Manchester United on Tuesday — with the former Northern Ireland chief given the news on his way to the Red Devils’ Carrington training HQ.

    O’Neill, 50, was not in contact with his squad on Tuesday but had been with them and his backroom team in the days before.

    He is now self-isolating and caretaker Billy McKinlay will take charge of the build-up to their Championship restart, away to Reading a week on Saturday.

    McKinlay and the rest of the Potters staff and squad will have another test today to see whether they have caught coronavirus.

  • GOOD MORNING UNITED FANS

    Did Paulo Dybala ever want to join Manchester United?

    According to the man himself… no.

    The Red Devils and Tottenham famously missed out on the Juventus forward last summer but he has revealed that he always wanted to stay in Turin.

    Dybala told CNN Sport: “I was contacted and some clubs were interested in me. Among those were Manchester United and Tottenham.

    “I think for a long time there were conversations, then Paris Saint-Germain also appeared.

    “I did not speak directly to any of them, but there were conversations with the clubs. However, my intention at the time was to stay.”

    Back in the real world, Manchester United drew 4-4 with Manchester United after an evenly-matched contest yesterday.

    The side’s planned friendly with Stoke had to be dropped at the last minute after Potters’ boss Michael O’Neill was diagnosed with coronavirus.

    Luke Shaw managed to notch twice in the Old Trafford game, something he confirmed on social media.

    The defender enthusiastically wrote: “There have been a lot of different things circulating on social media and I’m happy to set the record straight: it did end 4-4 and I did score twice!

    “Also on my team, Bruno [Fernandes] got one and Jamo [Daniel James] got one, while, on the other team, Rashy [Marcus Rashford] got two and so did Odion [Ighalo].”

    In transfer talk, Arsenal hope their strong relationship with Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang's father will help them keep the United target.

    According to The Telegraph, they are planning to try and use Pierre-Francois Aubameyang to ward off the Old Trafford interest.

    Not only is Aubameyang Snr the ex-Borussia Dortmund man's father but is also his agent.

  • STATE OF PLAY

    As we head into the final stretch of the season, here is the state of play for Man Utd’s stats leaderboard.

    Who are you backing to finish as the club’s top scorer?

  • SAN-SATIONAL

    Dortmund have admitted they are losing patience with Jadon Sancho.

    The Manchester United target was in trouble again at the weekend when he reacted angrily to being fined for breaking lockdown regulations by getting a haircut.

    Dortmund have reportedly put a £115million price tag on the England midfielder, 20.

    Sporting director Michael Zorc told SportBild: “Jadon is not only an exceptional footballer who is noticeable on the pitch but now and then also outside of the pitch.

    “Sometimes it’s not easy for us.”

    This comes just a few days after Sancho was told “to grow up” by his team-mate Emre Can, the former Liverpool midfielder.

  • EXCLUSIVE: REAL FRENZY
    Real Madrid are ready to join the battle for Kai Havertz – but Chelsea remain in pole position with the German prodigy keen on a move to the Premier League, reports Duncan Wright.

    The Blues are optimistic they can win through with their bid of around £70million, as revealed exclusively by SunSport on Tuesday.

    Bayern Munich had for a long time seemed destined to capture the services of playmaker Havertz, 20, at the end of the season.

    But a host of Premier League clubs then made their interest known, with Manchester United and Liverpool joining Chelsea in the market.

    Now Real have also shown their hand, but SunSport understands it is the chance to move to England which appeals most to Havertz at this stage.

  • COMM AND GET IT

    Manchester United may have to see out their Europa League campaign in Germany.

    According to ESPN, Eintracht Frankfurt’s Commerzbank Arena is being eyed by Uefa for a mini-tournament to round off this year’s competition.

    The final was originally set for Poland’s Stadion Energa Gdansk but authorities fear not being able to fit eight teams into the city, for the showcase from the quarter-finals onwards.

    United are currently halfway through their last-16 tie with Austrian side LASK, which they lead 5-0.

    Some teams were unable to play the first leg of their match-ups due to the coronavirus pandemic.

  • FOR WHOM THE BELL TOL-S

    Manchester United are in talks to sign Corentin Tolisso for £31m, according to RMC Sport Chief Football Editor Mohamed Bouhafsi.

    Tolisso joined Bayern Munich in 2017 from Lyon for £37m plus bonuses and won the World Cup with France a year later.

    United were strongly linked with a holding midfielder earlier in the season before Nemanja Matic's improvement in form put those plans on the back burner.

    But 25-year-old Tolisso could be more of a long-term option if he can stay fit.

  • BRU DOG

    Bruno Fernandes believes United can pick up where they left off when the restart begins.

    Speaking to the club website about his hopes for the season, the attacking midfielder looked back to the Red Devils’ five wins in six before the shutdown.

    He said: “I am looking forward to starting again like we finished.

    “Maybe doing better than we did. I think it's very important and the first game for us is a good opportunity to look forward to doing very well to finish the season.”

    When quizzed on his favourite wind-down plan after training sessions, Fernandes’ answer was clear: “Sleep!”

  • THE CLOCK IS TICKING

    Excited, United fans?

    Anthony Martial is surely a shoe-in for the central striker’s role in that first game back at Tottenham.

    And you wouldn’t bet against him bagging goal No17 for the season at New White Hart Lane.

  • MENS TO BE TOGETHER

    Manchester United want Timothy Fosu-Mensah to sign a new contract before heading out on loan again.

    The right-back has spent most of the season out with a serious knee injury but is now back to full fitness.

    It is thought a fresh stint away from the club is best for the Dutchman, 22.

    But the Telegraph report on United’s intention to sign Fosu-Mensah onto a new deal because his current contract expires in 12 months’ time.

  • NEM PARTY

    Nemanja Matic has described getting back into the swing of things as “easy” as the Red Devils prepare for the restart.

    Health and safety checks are being carried out on every player and staff member before the day’s workout.

    And Matic is comfortable in the new routine, telling the club website: “It's easy.

    “The new routine is to check our temperature every morning, wash our hands and keep our distance, as much as we can.

    “But training is normal – we are now allowed contact training so it's more or less the same. There are just a few different things before the training.”

  • THIA-GOING GOING GONE?

    Arsenal, Manchester United and many more have been reported as tracking Thiago Silva.

    But the door is not completely shut on the Brazilian centre-back signing a new PSG contract.

    According to Le10Sport, the player has been offered a fresh deal worth as much as £85,000-a-week.

    Barcelona, AC Milan and Everton are also monitoring Silva ahead of his contract expiring this summer.

    Will PSG’s offer be enough to keep him in Paris?

  • QUICK QUID

    Harold Wood, the steward who nabbed Ryan Giggs from Manchester City and took him to United, paid the Welsh legend £1 for every goal he scored – even until the end of his playing career.

    Giggs told Man Utd’s official podcast: “I was always a United fan, I played for City because my Sunday league team manager was a City scout.

    “The manager got to hear about me off a steward who used to come and watch me play, someone called Harold Wood who sadly died two weeks ago.

    “He was a great bloke and used to come and watch us and would be knocking on the manager’s door.

    “He was a car park attendant at the Cliff so he would be there when all the first team players were coming in and then when I was in the first team he’d give me £1 every time I scored.

    “He started it when I was younger and then he carried it on and by the time I was like 19, 20 I was saying, ‘Harold, come on give it a rest’ but he said, ‘no here’s your £1’. He was a great character.”

  • BREAKING NEWS

    The latest Premier League coronavirus tests have been announced.

    One case came back positive from 1,123 members of playing, coaching and backroom staff across the 20 clubs.

    Tests were carried out on Monday and Tuesday of this week.

  • GET YOUR YEDD ON IT

    Wissam Ben Yedder has entered Manchester United's transfer radar.

    French outlet Le10Sport claim the Red Devils are in contact with the Monaco star's agents over a potential £35million switch.

    With 18 goals in 26 appearances for the Ligue 1 side this season, Ben Yedder is likely to be a hot property in the summer market.

    And Monaco may be forced to sell stars having missed out on European football for next season.

    Some reports suggest as many as 30 players may depart the Principality club.

  • TOTT GUN

    Who might Manchester United be facing in their first game back of the restarted season?

    Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho is ready to give Eric Dier another start after impressing in training, according to The Athletic.

    The club are worried over Davinson Sanchez's fitness.

    And Dier is set to continue at centre-back having been given the nod in the couple of weeks before the shutdown.

  • LEV HIM ALONE

    Bayer Leverkusen have not “given up hope” of keeping Kai Havertz this summer, says their sporting director Rudi Voller.

    The 20-year-old is one of the hottest properties on the market, with Manchester United and Chelsea harbouring hopes of signing him.

    Havertz is contracted at BayArena for another two years and is rated at around £70million.

    But rather than leave the club whose academy he graduated from as a teen, the German international could stick around for a little longer yet.

    Voller told ARD: “We haven't given up hope that he'll stay with us.

    “We try to give him every possibility that he can call up his qualities. He did an outstanding job in the second half of the season.”

  • SHAW ENOUGH

    MANCHESTER UNITED'S intra-squad friendly on Saturday finished 4-4, with defender Luke Shaw managing to bag himself a brace.

    With rumours about the behind-closed-doors Old Trafford clash having circulated on social media over the last few days, the 24-year-old left-back decided to set matters straight on United's official website.

    He wrote: “There have been a lot of different things circulating on social media and I’m happy to set the record straight: it did end 4-4 and I did score twice!

    “Also on my team, Bruno [Fernandes] got one and Jamo [Daniel James] got one, while, on the other team, Rashy [Marcus Rashford] got two and so did Odion [Ighalo].”

  • MAN DOWN

    Sir Alex Ferguson had to break up a fight between his Manchester United players on the eve of their 2008 Champions League final clash against Chelsea.

    Former Old Trafford star Owen Hargreaves has revealed the epic bust-up came as a result of the squad's intense training sessions.

    Asked how Ferguson used his legendary man management powers to fire up the squad before the game, Hargreaves said: “He didn't need to, he knew the boys were ready.

    “I remember we did a training game in the stadium in Moscow the day before and we almost had a fight amongst the two teams because the training game was so intense.

  • SCREEN BROMANCE

    As if Manchester United fans needed another reason to get excited about the Paul Pogba and Bruno Fernandes partnership.

    One fan has created a compilation video to show how the pair could link up on the pitch – and they look like a match made in heaven.

    Pogba and Fernandes have not yet played together in a competitive game due to the Frenchman's injury issues.

    But the duo are expected to team up in the heart of United's midfield when the Premier League resumes this month.

  • FEEL THE BRUN

    Bruno Fernandes has lightheartedly hit back at Nemanja Matic after the Serb lauded over his team's victory in a Manchester United intra-squad friendly.

    Posing alongside team-mates including Marcus Rashford, Paul Pogba and Harry Maguire – Matic posted a celebratory snap following the victory.

    And the 31-year-old decided to have a bit of fun with it – lauding the win over January signing Fernandes.

    The photo also featured Diogo Dalot, Brandon Williams, Odion Ighalo, Jesse Lingard and Mason Greenwood.

    And Matic captioned it: “Winning team 💪🏽 @brunofernandes.10 have a nice day 😉”.

    In response Fernandes, who had been in blistering form prior to the coronavirus pandemic, had his own joke up his sleeve.

    Hit hit back: “For once I let you win, because I need you happy for the Premier League”.

Source: Read Full Article