Anthony Joshua insists he's 'waiting' for Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder as he looks to cement heavyweight legacy

ANTHONY JOSHUA is pleased Tyson Fury gatecrashed the heavyweight championship party — but now wants to hunt him down.

The Gypsy King spent almost 1,000 days out of the ring after unifying the division by dethroning Wladimir Klitschko in 2015.

Fury’s thrilling return and February demolition of Deontay Wilder should strike fear into potential opponents — but Joshua has his fellow Brit top of his guest list.

Watford’s WBA, IBF and WBO king told Apple Music: “I’m happy Fury won — it changed the whole dimension of the heavyweight division.

“We’re fighting for legacy. I need Wilder. I need Fury. I’m ready for them. I’m waiting for them.”

As well as enjoying the depth of quality in the division, AJ remembers being impressed with a different type of talent at the London 2012 Olympics, where he won gold.

The 30-year-old said: “A good memory for me was just all the different countries being in one place.

“I wanted to throw a party with those Jamaican girls, Swedish girls, all those different countries! I was like ‘Wow, this is amazing’.

“The annoying thing about being in the athletes’ village was that I boxed on the last day of the whole two weeks.

“So I knew people who had won a gold medal on the third day and were then walking around loving life while I was still doing running and physio.”

AJ could have had a very different view of the 2012 Games after he was arrested in the build-up with 8oz of cannabis, while dressed in a Team GB tracksuit.

He said: “I was boxing for Team GB a year before the Olympics and at that stage I was on about £500 a month, so it could not keep me away from opportunities that came my way.

“I was on a notorious estate in north-west London. I was a young boxer in my Team GB tracksuit. I was driving a Mercedes,  cruising through the estate and three undercover police stopped and said that my car smelt a bit.

“I told them my uncle was a Rasta, they smoke weed and I had just dropped him off at the station. I told them I hated it because I was just trying to focus on the Olympics.

“They said they understood and told me to stay focused but then one of them picked my big bag and asked ‘What is this?’.

“I got charged and I got community service. I also got banned from the Olympic team for a while. That was a tough time.”

Source: Read Full Article