Caroline Flack saw healthcare professional in custody before taking own life

Caroline Flack saw a healthcare professional in police custody after she was arrested for an alleged assault on boyfriend Lewis Burton.

The former 40-year-old Love Island presenter was arrested after an alleged attack on Lewis, 27, on December 13.

Following her death on February 15, the police launched an investigation into its own conduct surrounding the case after the star took her own life but it has now been dropped.

In the Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) statement it revealed that Caroline saw a healthcare professional when she was in custody on December 13, 2019.

The statement read: "Having considered a mandatory referral from the Metropolitan Police (MPS), we decided the matter did not require investigation by the Independent Office for Police Conduct because there was no indication of a causal link – directly or indirectly – between the actions or omissions of the police and Caroline Flack’s tragic death.

"The referral outlined police contact prior to her death.

  • Caroline Flack death: Police refer themselves to watchdog over host’s suicide

  • Caroline Flack assault charge defended by CPS – despite dropping Nicky Butt's

"MPS officers last had contact with Ms Flack on 13 December 2019, when she was in custody, nearly two months before her death.

"While in custody on 13 December, officers arranged for her to see a health care professional and relevant policy and procedure was followed to give her further guidance.

"On this basis, we have returned this referral to the MPS’ Department for Professional Standards for them to deal with the matter in whatever manner they decide."

  • Caroline Flack death: CPS explain why it pressed assault charges against TV star

  • Caroline Flack's ex Danny Cipriani 'missed her call' and has 'never cried so much'

Caroline was just weeks away from her trial starting when she took her own life and was found in her East London home, despite Lewis pleading for the charges to be dropped.

The Met made a mandatory referral to IOPC in the wake of her death

A statement from the police released after the ruling today said the referral was standard practise when a member of the public dies and has had recent contact with the police.

The statement said: "The referral was made following a review by the Met’s Directorate of Professional Standards (DPS) of all previous police contact with Ms Flack. This is standard practice when a member of the public dies or is seriously injured and has had recent contact with police.

  • Caroline Flack asked Kerry Katona for help after Fathers 4Justice dubbed her 'abuser'

  • ITV bosses worked with Caroline Flack's team to make decision on Love Island's future

"The IOPC, having independently assessed the circumstances, has informed the MPS and Ms Flack's family that an IOPC investigation is not required. The IOPC said it does not consider it reasonable or proportionate based on the evidence provided to suggest officer involvement caused or contributed to Ms Flack’s death."

It added: "The IOPC has referred the matter back to the MPS for the DPS to decide whether any further investigation or review into the circumstances is needed.

"The DPS has concluded that a formal investigation is not required. A comprehensive review of the circumstances surrounding all police contact with Ms Flack following her arrest and detention has already taken place as part of the referral process. No conduct has been identified on the part of any officer. In line with normal processes, if any new information should come to light it will be considered and action taken as appropriate.

"The MPS continues to offer every assistance to the coroner."

Source: Read Full Article