FROM Judy Garland to NSYNC, Whitney to Alexa: the humble dungaree has been around forever, transcending time to become the cool and effortless staple we love today.
If you’re wondering how to style dungarees this summer, you’re onto a good thing. Hardwearing, hardworking and devastatingly stylish, the denim staple has earned itself some serious style kudos of late: think of it as a lockdown essential.
Whether you’re looking for something chic and casual when working from home or an outfit that’s ideal for weekend strolls, the dungaree trend is perfectly versatile.
And don’t worry — things have moved on considerably since Levi Strauss first popularised the style in 1853, which led to dungas quickly becoming a staple for manual workers across America.
Noways, as well as the classic oversized utility fit, you’ll find all manner of form-fitting structures, silhouettes and lightweight fabrics and colours to choose from.
We’ve put together five dungaree looks to get you started — which one will you be rocking this summer?
1. Best dungarees for off-duty style cred: Dickies
- UO Howdy Baby T-Shirt, £24 from Urban Outfitters – buy here
UO Cami Oval Sunglasses, £16 from Urban Outfitters – buy here
- Birkenstock Arizona White Sandals, £60 from Urban Outfitters – buy here
- Dickies Pink Dungarees, £85 – buy here
American workwear brand, Dickies, has been a hugely popular choice for dungarees ever since its inception in Texas, 1922.
We're loving this dusky pink pair available from Urban Outfitters, which prove you don't have to stick with traditional blue denim when shoping the dungaree trend.
Styled with a quirky slogan tee, Birkenstocks and 90s-esque sunglasses, this fit makes for the coolest of off-duty looks.
2. Best dungarees for summer strolls: GAP
- Crossover Strap Espadrille Wedges, £29.99 from GAP – buy here
- Squareneck Button-Front Top, £19.98 from GAP – buy here
- Mini Jute Tote Bag, £19.98 from GAP – buy here
- Denim Shortalls, £24.98 from GAP – buy here
Summer calling! Dungas don't have to be full-length: just look at this gorgeous cropped pair from GAP.
In a summery shade of creamy denim, this pair screams 'holiday', but for now, we're just as content wearing them in the garden with a cocktail in hand.
We've built upon the neutral palette further by pairing these with a super-flattering square neck top and a cute pair of espadrilles.
Throw a jute bag over your shoulder to complete this elevated look.
3. Best dungarees for polished, retro vibes: MOTHER
- Mediterranean Dream Lottie Blouse by eberjey, £153 from Revolve – buy here
- Rae Drop Earring by Casa Clara, £66 from Revolve – buy here
- Invigorated Sandal by Seychelles, £141 from Revolve – buy here
- The Tripper Overall Ankle by MOTHER, £335 from Revolve – buy here
LA-based fashion powerhouse, Revolve, is home to an amazing assortment of designer labels and brands — from For Love & Lemons and Free People, to Nike and Rag & Bone.
For this polished look, we've opted for a form-fitting bootleg cut dungaree from MOTHER. It's ultra-flattering and has a distressed finish that is just perfect for channelling hazy 70s style.
Teamed with a platform sandal, floaty blouse and statement earrings, this dungaree fit is a definite head-turner.
4. Best dungarees for relaxed weekends: La Redoute
- Cotton Wide Strap Top in Striped Print, £20 from La Redoute – buy here
- Chuck Taylor All Star Seasonal Canvas Hi Trainers, £55 from La Redoute – buy here
- Paisley Print Cotton Scarf, £18 from La Redoute – buy here
- Paula Linen Mix Dungarees, £115 from La Redoute – buy here
If you're looking to build a dungaree outfit that does casual in the chicest of ways, French retailer La Redoute is the perfect place to start.
Once again proving that dungarees don't have to mean blue denim, this stylish and loose-fitting pair is made from a linen-blend, making it perfect for summer temperatures.
Meanwhile, the burnt orange shade gives off a warm glow to suit all skin tones. Building on the rustic colour palette, we've styled this with a cotton strappy top and a neck scarf in complementing shades.
Swap out the sandals for a pastel pair of converse to keep this look effortlessly laidback and casual.
5. Best dungarees for streetwear: ASOS
- Dr Martens Gryphon Quad leather chunky sandals, £129 from ASOS – buy here
- ASOS DESIGN cotton bucket hat, £8 from ASOS – buy here
- Ted Baker striped branded t-shirt, £49 from ASOS – buy here
- ASOS DESIGN denim dungaree in washed black, £42 from ASOS – buy here
Streetwear trendsetters, this one's for you. ASOS is the holy grail of fashion-led pieces you can wear to pound the pavements and the brand's own label have scored a winner with this washed black pair of denim dungarees.
These are a staple that are perfectly versatile and can be styled in a number of ways.
We've teamed them with chunky Dr Martens sandals, an on-trend bucket hat and a stripey Ted Baker tee for a look that is bold, fresh and will see you through the summer and beyond.
Enjoyed our guide for dungaree looks? Why not check out the best loungewear looks?
We've also rounded up the best white tees.
And check out more fashion tips by visiting Sun Selects fashion.
Source: Read Full Article