THE cast of EastEnders will return to work next month under BBC plans to resume filming some shows.
Channel bosses have held secret talks over the soap — which was brought to a halt six weeks ago by the Covid-19 crisis.
⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates
A TV insider said: “Filming will have to resume at some point and bosses say June is the benchmark.
“With strict social distancing and extra precautions on set they think EastEnders could make the transition.
“But they appreciate the health and safety of the cast and crew is paramount and should the lockdown restrictions be tightened, filming will, of course, not take place.
“However, bosses have decided that if filming and production can resume safely, it should go ahead.”
Filming stopped on on March 18. Episodes have been reduced from four to two a week to keep the show on air for as long as possible.
Discussions started after the cast of Australian soap Neighbours returned to filming earlier this week.
Producers used guidelines to ensure the cast remained two metres apart at all times and employed the crew to double up as extras.
An EastEnders spokeswoman said: “No dates have been set for filming to resume and we will not return until it is safe to do so.”
Meanwhile, Zoe Ball believes BBC1’s Strictly Come Dancing will return this year.
Zoe, 49, who hosts spin-off show It Takes Two, said: “I know they are going to put that show on somehow. It might not have a studio audience, it might be slightly different.”
ITV boss Kevin Lygo yesterday admitted that Coronation Street and Emmerdale were running short of episodes.
CORONAVIRUS CRISIS – STAY IN THE KNOW
Don't miss the latest news and figures – and essential advice for you and your family.
To receive The Sun's Coronavirus newsletter in your inbox every tea time, sign up here.
To follow us on Facebook, simply 'Like' our Coronavirus page.
Get Britain's best-selling newspaper delivered to your smartphone or tablet each day – find out more.
Join our George Cross campaign for NHS staff
We are urging Sun readers to sign a petition calling for our NHS staff to be awarded the George Cross.
We are backing a proposal by Lord Ashcroft to honour our health heroes with the gallantry gong given for acts of bravery that did not take place in battle.
A No10 spokesman said: “The NHS is doing a fantastic job and the nation will want to find a way to say thank you when we have defeated this virus.” SAS hero Andy McNab added: “The award of a George Cross would show an emotional appreciation.”
We are asking our readers to please sign the petition below.
Source: Read Full Article