‘This matter is closed’: Sydney removalists who brought Delta to Melbourne won’t be charged

For our free coronavirus pandemic coverage, learn more here.

Police will not take any action against Sydney removalists who spread the highly infectious Delta variant to several people in Melbourne.

In a statement released on Tuesday morning, Victoria Police said the Department of Health had finished its investigation into whether the removalists had breached public health guidelines.

The Ariele apartments in Maribyrnong was locked down after exposure to the removalists.Credit:Jason South

Their findings were provided to police to consider whether further investigation was needed.

“Victoria Police has undertaken an assessment of the material provided and determined there is no evidence of other offending,” a police spokeswoman said. “As such, Victoria Police will not be taking any action and this matter is closed from a police perspective.”

“Any inquiries regarding the outcome of the investigation into potential breaches of the Public Health and Wellbeing Act and CHO directions should be directed to Department of Health as the lead agency.”

The news came as the state recorded 10 new COVID cases – all linked to known outbreaks and all in isolation while infectious.

COVID-19 response commander Jeroen Weimar had previously said health authorities would “throw the book” at the trio if they were found to have breached health restrictions.

The Age has asked the Department of Health whether it took any enforcement action against the men.

More to come.

Most Viewed in National

Source: Read Full Article