Moment jihadi bombers were caught by police is recreated by Disney for new drama into wrongful police killing of Jean Charles de Menezes
- EXCLUSIVE: Disney+ show ‘Suspect’ recreates moment terrorists were arrested
The moment that jihadi bombers were caught by police following the 7/7 and 21/7 attacks in London in 2005 has been recreated by Disney for a new drama into the wrongful killing of Jean Charles de Menezes.
Upcoming Disney+ series Suspect: The Shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes will examine the aftermath of the London terror bombings.
And now exclusive pictures show the drama’s depiction of the arrest of two terrorists who failed to blow up a bus and a Tube station around two weeks after the devastating 7/7 bombings on July 21, 2005.
Muktar Said Ibrahim, now 45, and Ramzi Mohammed, now 42, went on the run after the failed bombing and eight days later on July 29 they were arrested.
Armed police forced the pair out of the flat they were sharing with their hands up, wearing just their underpants, in a moment which has been recreated with uncanny accuracy for the new drama, which has already faced backlash.
Ibrahim tried to set off a homemade bomb on the top deck of a London bus but instead of exploding the explosive mixture started ‘oozing’ out of the sides and he dumped it and fled.
The moment that jihadi bombers were caught by police following 7/7 and attempted 21/7 attacks in London in 2005 has been recreated by Disney for a new drama into the wrongful killing of Jean Charles de Menezes
21/7 bombers Muktar Said Ibrahim (left) and Ramzi Mohammed during their arrest in London on July 29, 2005
Photos of the scene being recreated for the Disney and ITV Studios production, show a police van arriving at the London block of flats where Ibrahim and Mohammed were staying
Somali-born Mohammed, who was the first of four men that day to attempt an attack that day, tried to detonate a rucksack bomb on a Northern Line Tube carriage near Oval Station in Lambeth, south London.
READ MORE: Family of Jean Charles de Menezes accuse Disney of ‘breaking promises’ and slam drama recreating his death in 7/7 aftermath as being ‘just for ratings’
Photos of the scene being recreated for the Disney and ITV Studios production, show a police van arriving at the London block of flats where Ibrahim and Mohammed were staying.
In the scene armed police officers, including snipers, are seen gathering around the front door to the apartment before before the actors playing the two terrorists are forced out the door in the pants.
The show has already garnered controversy as last week the family of Jean Charles de Menezes accused Disney of ‘breaking promises’ over the portrayal of their son’s tragic shooting by Met Police officers. The Brazilian’s parents Maria and Matozinhos Otoni da Silva said they have heard nothing from the producers following a brief phone call a year ago when they were told they could have input on the reconstruction as consultants.
And earlier this month they faced backlash over the shocking recreation of the bombing of the Number 30 bus at Tavistock Square. Disney defended the show as a ‘factual dramatisation of events surrounding the police shooting of the innocent Brazilian shortly after the attempted bombings on July 21’.
Disney has already been branded ‘shameful’ by victims of the 7/7 terror attack in London – the worst loss of life in a terrorist attack on mainland Britain in history – after the entertainment giant recreated the bombings for an upcoming TV drama.
The coordinated suicide attacks on the capital’s Tube and bus network killed 56 and injured 770 on July 7 2005.
The limited series is written and executive produced by Jeff Pope, the Oscar-nominated screenwriter behind hit movies including Philomena and Stan and Ollie. It is produced by Etta Pictures, Mr Pope’s production label which is part of ITV Studios, it has also been confirmed that the series will be directed by BAFTA award-winning Paul Andrew Williams.
An actor portraying a police sniper marksman is seen at the filming of ‘Suspect’
In the show, armed officers line up to the door of the terrorists to arrest them
The actors playing Ibrahim and Mohammed as they are arrested in a flat in north Kensington
The actors playing Ibrahim and Mohammed raise their arms as they are arrested as depicted in ‘Suspect’ from Disney
Mr de Menezes was shot dead on a train at Stockwell Underground station in south London on July 22, 2005.
The filming there for the Disney show is understood to have taken place on Sunday, October 22.
Mr de Menezes, a Brazilian working as an electrician in the capital, was shot in the head seven times by police after being followed by officers from his home nearby.
Later inquiries heard he appeared to match the description of one of the failed suicide bombers, whose devices failed to detonate on the transport system the previous day.
Their attempted attack followed the 7/7 atrocity which killed 52 people on Tube trains and a bus in London earlier that month.
Mr de Menezes’s family led a long campaign calling for police officers to be prosecuted for the shooting and criticising Scotland Yard for its handling of the operation, which was led at the time by Dame Cressida Dick.
No police officers involved in Mr De Menezes’ fatal shooting ever faced disciplinary action, and Dame Cressida was cleared of any blame by a jury.
Somali nationals Ramzi Mohammed (left) and Muktar Said Ibrahim (right), were sentenced to minimum terms of 40 years’ imprisonment over their bungled attempt to blow up the capital’s transport network just two weeks after the 7/7 attacks
CCTV image issued by the Metropolitan Police of July 21 terror plotter of Muktar Said Ibrahim boarding the No. 26 bus on July 21, 2005
The remains of a bus used as a prop on a film set on Spa Road, in Bermondsey, south London, during filming about the London bombings on the 7 July 2005
Remains of the bus explosion Tavistock Square after the 7/7 attacks in 2005
Dame Cressida was the senior commander in charge of the botched operation that led to the fatal shooting of Mr de Menezes.
She oversaw the operation that led to officers mistakenly identifying the Brazilian as an on-the-run suicide bomber, two weeks after the July 7 London bombings.
The Metropolitan Police was successfully prosecuted for health and safety failings, but in an unusual move the jury attacked the Met but said it did not hold Ms Dick responsible.
She told the Mail in 2018: ‘It was an appalling thing – an innocent man killed by police. Me in charge. Awful for the family and I was properly held to account. We learned every lesson that was to be learned.
‘My job was to stand up and be counted, tell the truth and carry on. If police officers fell to pieces or resigned when operations didn’t go well, it wouldn’t send out a good message.’
Source: Read Full Article